New Rafter Finder, Patented Tool
This new device is an excellent tool for use with any type of roof component installment including solar panels, skylights and tubelights, air conditioning vents, etc. It can also be used to accurately locate studs in walls for securely installing earthquake kits, mounting hooks or hanging heavy pictures or mirrors.
From: Concise Designs, Inc.
December 9, 2013
Santa Rosa, CA
Locating underlying roof rafters is a significant problem facing many professional and do-it yourself installers. A handy, inexpensive and simple device is now available which doesn’t rely on electronics or batteries. It has been developed by Concise Designs, a Solar Mounting Hardware company in Santa Rosa, California.
Experienced installers of solar panels, skylights, tubelights, and attic vents have used a number of methods to locate rafters. While direct observation from the overhang of the roof or inside the attic crawl space is often advisable to see the basic structural layout, it is difficult to
translate this observation while on the roof.
Some installers use fairly expensive electronic devices such as high density stud finders, but this often requires the removal of some shingles to get an accurate reading. To add to the problem, rafters are supposed to be located between 16 to 24 inches apart, but not all homes have accurate structural designs.
The patented wire rafter/stud finder pinpoints rafter location providing positive mechanical feedback to locate edge of rafter with an accuracy 1/16th inch.
- The installer taps on the roof with a rubber mallet to establish the best estimate for the center location of the rafter.
- A 5/32” dia. hole is then drilled roughly 2” left of the estimate.
- The indicator flag of the Rafter-Finder is raised and the curved wire sensor is inserted into the small hole.
- The tip of the wire sensor below the roof is directly below the tip of the indicator flag above.
- The knob at the top of the Rafter-Finder is rotated until the wire stops at the rafter edge below.
- The center of the rafter is then marked with 3/4“ tape.
Once the Rafter-Finder is removed, the small hole is easily sealed.
Benefits and Advantages
- Fewer penetrations for precise location of rafters or studs
- Ideal for composition roofing
- Made with corrosion-proof materials
- Simple instructions: “Thump once, drill once, insert Rafter-Finder, measure rafter location and proceed with confidence!”
Dick Tweedie, CEO, Concise Designs, Inc.